- Survivor Outreach Services
Our Fallen Soldiers have paid the ultimate sacrifice. Their Families deserve our respect, gratitude, and the very best we can provide. If you’re a surviving Family member, Survivor Outreach Services (SOS) offers you access to support, information, and services, closest to where you live, when you need it and for as long as you need it.
Survivor Outreach Services is part of the Army Casualty Continuum of Care. It’s designed to provide long-term support to surviving Families of Fallen Soldiers. Our goal is to reassure Survivors that they remain valued members of the Army Family.
Survivor Outreach Services helps in many ways:
- Support Coordinators. The loss of a loved one often results in tremendous grief, which can be overwhelming. When faced with a tragedy, you may be wondering what direction to take. Your SOS Coordinator is your link to finding the resources and answers that will work best for you. Your local Support Coordinator is available to meet with you as you journey through this difficult transition by providing direct services as well as information, referrals, and recommendations. He or she can also connect you with support groups, spiritual resources, and bereavement and financial counselors. Your SOS Coordinator can also help you request and obtain copies of documents, navigate local, state, and federal agencies, and direct you to additional Survivor resources.
- Financial Counselors. In times of emotional distress, figuring out what to do about finances can create a heavy burden. Survivor Outreach Services Financial Counselors provide professional financial information and services in areas such as investing, estate planning, tax issues, and basic budgeting. Our Financial Counselors are committed to helping you create financial security. They also help ensure you get the information you need to make sound financial decisions.
- Gold Star Advocates provide support and address complaints about casualty assistance or receipt of benefits.
For more information about Army Survivor Outreach Services, or to locate your nearest SOS Coordinator, call toll-free +1 (855)707-2769.
To learn about the symbols of honor surviving military families wear, visit www.GoldStarPins.org.
- Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall (JBM-HH) SOS
Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall (JBM-HH) SOS services include:
Facilitate support groups where Families and individuals can share feelings, concerns, resources, and information in a safe environment.
Maintain personal contact with Survivors with phone calls, newsletters and emails.
Offer on-site professional financial counseling to assist Families in adjusting to their unique monetary circumstances following the loss of their loved ones.
Provide care for Survivors beyond what Casualty Assistance Officers can offer.
Partner with military and other agencies and organizations to provide resources and programs such as grief camps for children, other special events and bereavement materials.
Conduct special events to provide Survivors an opportunity to interact and share in a social setting.
JBM-HH SOS Support Coordinator: 703-696-8846/3510
JBM-HH SOS Financial Counselor: 703-696-8847/3510
To schedule a Survivor Outreach Services appointment or to sign up for a class/event, call 703-696-3510